this post is sponsored by Bread SRSLY
I’d choose a sweet breakfast over a savory one any day! I tend to start my day on the sweeter side: raw fruit, smoothies, banana ice cream, rawnola, pancakes, or french toast. I like to switch up my breakfast routine of course, so I swapped my usual almond butter & chia jam toast for a more enticing, fully-loaded vegan french toast sandwich. I used thick slices of my favorite Bread SRSLY vegan & gluten-free sourdough bread, dipped them in a simple banana & almond milk batter, then cooked them on the skillet before layering them with almond butter, banana, and blueberry jam! Breakfast is served.
If this french toast sandwich doesn’t make you want to hop right on out of bed, I don’t know what will. It’s so comforting, filling, and perfectly sweet. I actually hadn’t ever made french toast at home before testing out this recipe (guilty as charged!). I’d seen a couple of vegan french toast recipes floating out there on the interwebs, but I thought, “oh no, it’s probably way too complicated”. I couldn’t have been more wrong! It’s actually super easy to make vegan french toast and I’m here to show you how.
The key to the perfect french toast? I think it’s all about the bread to batter ratio. I’m pretty stoked on this classic sourdough bread from Bread SRSLY. Not only is it vegan AND gluten-free, but it’s also non-GMO, low-fat, oil-free, and handmade in San Francisco. How cool is that? They sent me a sampler pack of their sourdough breads and gum-free sandwich rolls to try a couple of weeks ago when I was home in the US. It was love at first bite! Seriously, as someone who has a lot of food intolerances, I forgot how much I loved sourdough bread until Bread SRSLY came into my life.
Also, forget tiny, thinly sliced & flimsy sandwich bread, I cut big 3/4 inch slices of the classic sourdough bread which made all the difference. It reminded me of the old-fashioned American french toast I used to eat for a treat on the weekends. As for turning the bread into french toast, all it takes is some mashed banana, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and ground flaxseed. Let it sit in the fridge and you’ll have a thick batter perfect for dunking and frying!
And when I say frying, of course all I mean is heating it up over the skillet until golden brown. This vegan french toast is good enough on its own, but I took it up a notch by making it into a sandwich. I lathered on my favorite almond butter, fresh sliced banana, and fruit-sweetened blueberry jam. To top it off, I sprinkled it with cinnamon and drizzled it with maple syrup. Then, I quickly devoured it and enjoyed every second of it. It was the first, and best, french toast sandwich I’ve ever had in my life!
When it comes to making homemade vegan & gluten-free bread, I’ve found it’s really hard to get the texture, taste, and flavor just right. Plus, it’s super time consuming, not to mention the mess it makes. And you can go ahead and forget about me trying to make sourdough. I wouldn’t even know where to begin. I’m obsessed with this Bread SRLSY sourdough bread because it’s so yummy, unique, fluffy & flavorful. I’ve found it impossible to find a bread that’s oil-free, sugar-free, vegan & gluten-free and alleviates all my concerns. So, trust me when I say you have to try it for yourself!
- 2 slices of Bread SRSLY classic sourdough bread, cut about 3/4 inch thick
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp almond butter
- 1-2 tbsp blueberry jam, or flavor of your choice
- 1/2 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, mashed banana, flaxseed, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Place the batter in the fridge for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Remove the batter from the fridge.
- Dip sliced bread into the batter, holding it fully submerged for 5-10 seconds on each side.
- Add immediately to the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. You may need to turn down your skillet to make sure it cooks evenly without burning.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Spread almond butter over one piece of french toast.
- Top it with sliced banana.
- Spread blueberry jam over the other piece of french toast.
- Sandwich one piece of french toast on top of the other.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Dig in immediately!