Date squares make the best sweet treat! They’re amazingly gooey in the middle with a oat cookie base, chewy date caramel middle, and rawnola crumble topping. You only need 4 simple ingredients and less than 15 minutes to whip these up! And best part is they’re completely vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, low-fat, and no-bake. Meaning they make the perfect, easy allergy-friendly treat when you’re craving sweets in a hurry.
These bars are packed full of all my favorite ingredients: dates, rolled oats, cinnamon, and brown rice syrup. Dates are so naturally sweet and nutritious, plus they’re known to promote digestive health. Not like I need another excuse to eat them. Dates are already part of my daily diet, so I was super excited to create this new delicious recipe with them!
You could have these date squares any time of day: for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert. I based this recipe off of my blueberry chia seed jam oat squares, but replaced the jam with a creamy date caramel and made them raw to simplify it even more. After taste testing them on my boyfriend, I’m proud to say they’ll please the non-vegan crowd as well.
Can you believe you actually only need 4 ingredients to make these babies? Yep, you better believe it because it’s true. They’re totally delectable, chewy, and soft with a crumble on top for that extra “umph”. I will admit they require a solid amount of dates, but I believe you can never have too many dates. I stock up on them in bulk and buy them wholesale here in Hong Kong, so that it makes sense for me in terms of cost.
I’ve never even had a traditional date square before, but I think these are better both in terms of taste and nutrition. They’re good for you and your tummy, leaving you feeling satisfied and curbing your sweet cravings! I made sure to use only unrefined sweeteners, relying on dates and brown rice syrup. Feel free to sub any other liquid sweetener for the brown rice syrup.
If you try this recipe, please share with me on Instagram! Seeing your recreations of my recipes means the world to me and I love hearing what you think of them.
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 3/4 cups dates
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oats
- 4 dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the oats until they're broken down into a flour-like consistency.
- Add in the dates and brown rice syrup and process until a sticky ball of dough forms.
- Transfer dough to the loaf pan and press down evenly with your hands.
- Place in the freezer while you make the date caramel layer.
- Add dates and hot water to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth (it should still be sticky and relatively thick).
- Add in brown rice syrup and cinnamon and continue to process until well mixed.
- Stop and scrape down the sides as needed. It should be like a paste.
- Scoop out the date caramel and spread it evenly on top of the base with wet hands.
- Place back in the freezer.
- Add the oats and dates to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Pulse until just combined.
- Add in brown rice syrup and cinnamon and pulse until you get a crumbly mixture. Be careful not to process too much.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly on top of the date caramel.
- Press crumble down gently with your hands.
- Place back in the freezer for 1 hour to set.
- Cut into bars and serve chilled!