Peanut butter & jelly is probably one of the most classic, full-proof flavor combos of all time. So I crafted a raw, vegan & gluten-free peanut butter & jelly slice to have for dessert. Or as snack. Or for breakfast. Really, I think a healthy peanut butter & jelly slice made without any refined sugar is appropriate at any time of day for any meal. So, get ready because this will probably become your new favorite treat!
These slices have a soft and chewy base layered with an easy, delicious 3-ingredient homemade blueberry chia jam. Then, to top it all off, there’s a nice solid peanut butter layer because really you can never have too much peanut butter.
This PB&J slice is completely raw, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and refined sugar-free. It may be a nutritious, plant-based treat free of artificial flavors, colors, and other additives but I definitely did not sacrifice on taste. I actually think it tastes better because it’s healthy and much more satisfying.
For the base, you toss together mostly oats and coconut with some almond butter, dates, brown rice syrup, and plenty of cinnamon. It’s magic what you can do with so few ingredients and a blender or food processor. I threw this together easily, flattened it to the bottom of a loaf pan, and stuck it in the freezer. Done, done, and done.
The chia jam I’ve made before for my almond butter, banana & chia jam sandwich and raw peanut butter & strawberry jam crumble cake. It’s a recipe I keep going back to over and over because it’s not only the simplest way to make jam but only requires 3 ingredients: berries, a liquid sweetener, and chia seeds. This time, I opted for fresh, organic blueberries that I picked up at the farmer’s market and brown rice syrup as my sweetener. All you have to do is throw these ingredients together in a blender and blend!
The chia seeds will thicken the jam when you stick it in the fridge. There you have it, raw vegan blueberry jam that you can use in these bars, for sandwiches, to go on top of smoothie bowls or banana ice cream. There’s really endless possibilities when it comes to fresh, homemade jam especially during the summer.
I’m a kid at heart so these bars make me nostalgic for my childhood. I was always so excited when I would open my lunchbox to find my mom packed me a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. I never got tired of it then, and I don’t think I ever will in the foreseeable future. It’s a flavor combo that’s kid-friendly but undeniably great for adults too.
Plus, this version is just so much better for you! Always a win. I hope you have a great summer soaking up the sunshine, getting outdoors, and making lots of healthy treats of course. If you try this recipe, please share with me on Instagram @asunshinemission. I’d love to know what you think of these.
- 2 cups oats
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut butter, softened
- Place oats, coconut, and cinnamon in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Process until they turn into small pieces.
- Add the peanut butter, dates, and brown rice syrup and process until a stick ball of dough forms.
- Press into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and smooth evenly.
- Stick it in the freezer.
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender on high until well combined.
- Transfer jam to a bowl or jar and place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Remove base from the freezer and spread jam over the base.
- Place back in the freezer.
- In a small bowl, mix ingredients together until well combined.
- Spread over the blueberry jam layer and stick back in the freezer for 30 minutes-1 hour to harden.
- Remove from the freezer, let thaw, slice, and enjoy!