I’ve never had a regular caramel slice before, but this raw vegan version is pretty darn delicious. I started making these raw vegan caramel slices as an extra special dessert to treat myself every now and then. They’re really rich, dense, and decadent with a chewy cashew coconut base, date caramel, and raw chocolate on top. An all-around winner that’s healthy, vegan, and gluten-free!
These caramel slices are really a triple threat with three yummy layers packed with flavor and all-natural ingredients like cashews, coconut, dates, cacao powder, and pure maple syrup. All together, the layers just melt in your mouth when you take a bite. I think these may be my favorite dessert ever (and you know that’s saying a lot coming from me).
I made sure to keep these slices as healthy as they can possibly be. They’re raw, vegan, gluten-free, and free of refined sugar. Raw cacao powder is packed full of antioxidants, so you can rest well knowing that even the chocolate layer has some health benefits to it! These slices taste truly taste like a candy bar, but they’re much better for you than any candy I’ve ever seen.
A great part about this caramel slice is it will really fill you up! One slice goes a long way, trust me. Whenever your craving for sweets hits, just have a couple of bites and you’ll be fully satisfied. I’ve made these for my mom before and even she couldn’t believe how yummy & healthy they were because they tasted so much like a candy bar. She had a few bites and was like, “I’m so full. Those were so good!”. She was perfectly happy with them!
The cashews and almond butter will give you a good dose of protein, the coconut oil is anti-inflammatory, and the dates are high in iron and fibre. Your body will seriously thank you for having this vegan dessert. I can’t get over how awesome the texture and flavor combos are: perfectly chewy, nutty, and smooth.
I could eat each layer on its own that’s how good it is! And there’s just something about making your own raw vegan chocolate that feels like a total victory to me. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Please share your thoughts with me on Instagram @asunshinemission!
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 8-10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 3 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Add cashews and oats to a food processor and process until broken down into a flour-like consistency.
- Add coconut and pulse until well mixed.
- Add dates and brown rice syrup and process until a sticky ball of dough forms.
- Press base into a tin lined with parchment paper and smooth it out evenly with your hands or the back of a spoon.
- Place in the freezer while you make the caramel.
- Process all ingredients in a food processor on high until smooth.
- Spread caramel over the base and smooth out evenly.
- Place back in the freezer.
- Make sure coconut oil is completely liquid.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until fully incorporated.
- Pour on top of the caramel layer and smooth it out.
- Place in the freezer overnight to set.