Mint + chocolate definitely tops my list for best dessert combinations. Light & refreshing mint mixed with decadent chocolate (made healthy with raw cacao powder), what could be better?
Even though the holiday season is already over, I don’t know about you but I still am craving sweets. A lot. So I threw together some all-natural sweeteners & other healthy ingredients to make these yummy mint double chocolate chip cookies. They are: a. vegan, b. gluten-free, and c. refined sugar-free as is everything I make. And of course they taste delicious!
- I have been vegan for just over a year
- I consider my puppy Poppy to be one of my best friends
- I go running every morning (it wakes me up!)
- I have a healthy obsession with sweets
- I grew up in the good-ole’ South
- I dream of traveling to every country in the world
- I have to admit breakfast is my favorite meal of the day
- I love sunny days
Now that I’ve properly introduced myself, on to the cookies!
I threw a double dose of chocolate in these for good measure. These are also oil-free, since I prefer to use applesauce instead of oil when baking. I like the texture & naturally sweet flavor it adds!
I personally love using date sugar because dates are “nature’s candy” as they like to say. I honestly eat them like they are candy. Raw date sugar is just dried, finely chopped dates meaning there are no nasties. But feel free to substitute with coconut sugar or other unrefined sweetener.
Be sure to mix well since the dough gets pretty sticky. It helps if you pulse the dough in the food processor. Of course you don’t have to use one, but it can quickly do the mixing for you.
And the best part, they bake so fast! Mine were ready in under 10 minutes.
The peppermint green tea adds a nice little kick to the flavor. It’s also my way of holding onto the memories of the holidays. Something about the smell of mint is just so comforting. Don’t you agree?
I hope these help satisfy your sweet tooth as much as they did mine. I definitely recommend keeping a couple in your purse in case a craving strikes while you’re on-the-go! Healthy cookies = happier me.
Now on to the recipe! Please share your pictures with me if you make these. Tag your photo #asunshinemission on Instagram so I can see them. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup date sugar
- 2 cups garbanzo/fava bean flour
- 1/3 cup steeped peppermint green tea
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Steep the peppermint green tea in boiling water and then measure out the 1/3 cup of tea.
- Add the garbanzo bean flour, raw cacao powder, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt to a medium sized bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the applesauce, date sugar, vanilla, and mint tea to a small sized bowl and stir well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and chill dough in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Scoop out heaping 2 Tbsp amounts of your chilled dough and roll into balls.
- Place cookie dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press down lightly with your hand or a rubber spatula to flatten them.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottoms are slightly brown.
- Remove and let rest on the pan for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a plate or cooling rack.