Here in Los Angeles, I am constantly bombarded with a delicious selection of Mexican restaurants and food trucks. Unfortunately, too few of them have vegan & gluten-free friendly options. So, I whipped up this healthy, layered burrito bowl of my own. It’s packed with: fresh steamed kale, sauteed mixed veggies, red quinoa, and black beans then topped with a cashew nacho cheese.
I’ve always preferred burritos to tacos because I find them much more satisfying. I tend to get so many fillings in my burritos that I figured why not skip out on the tortilla altogether. That way I get more of what I really want which is the delicious veggies, quinoa, and most importantly the vegan nacho cheese. I deconstructed my favorite burrito combo by tossing it all into a bowl and mixing it all up. There you have it!
Not only is this completely vegan & gluten-free, but it’s also oil-free because there was no need. I find that most recipes do fine without the added oil. When sauteeing the veggies, I simply squirt a little bit of lemon juice or water into the pan and allow it to heat up before adding them in. This worked just fine!
Okay, but really the best part hands down has to be the cashew nacho cheese. I’ve heard a lot of people say that they could never go vegan because they wouldn’t want to give up cheese. Well, I’m here to tell you that cashew cheese can fill that void. It’s dairy-free and vegan so of course the taste is different, but it comes pretty close to the real deal.
This recipe makes a big serving of the cashew nacho cheese, so I put my leftovers in a mason jar and kept it in the fridge for later. You could use it as a dip, make a vegan grilled cheese or quesadilla, or spread it on a sandwich. That’s what’s great about cashew cheese, you can use it as a snack, in a meal, or just enjoy it on it’s own!
You can make this burrito bowl in only 15 minutes, not including the time it takes to soak the cashews. When I get home from work, all I want to do is eat so I usually want to make something quick and easy. This recipe solves that problem for me, plus you can mix it up by trying different veggies. Basically, if you like Mexican food & cashew cheese and you want a simple recipe, this is for you.
- 2 1/2 cups kale
- 1 cup mixed veggies, chopped
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 8 hours
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Steam kale with 1/2 cup of water over medium heat until wilted and tender (5-6 minutes).
- Set aside kale in a bowl.
- Sautee mixed veggies, quinoa, and black beans in a pan over medium heat.
- Add this mixture on top of the kale.
- For the cashew nacho cheese, drain the cashews and add them to a blender or food processor.
- Add in all other cheese ingredients.
- Process until you have a smooth paste, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scoop out cheese into the bowl and mix everything together.
- Chow down!