I was racking my brain hunting for a good snack in the middle of one of my “snack attack” episodes. Then, next thing I know, I had came up with this creamy avocado, basil and kale dip. I didn’t want to take a trip to the store, so I took what I already had and made this super easy, veggie-packed layered dip.
The dip is creamy, packed with basil and kale and full of good-for-you whole foods. To be honest, I didn’t even need the carrot sticks. By the end, I was licking it straight off my spoon.
It’s so simple to make. You basically just steam kale, toss a bunch of ingredients in a food processor/blender, and there you have it. You’ve got yourself this vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free dip.
As if you need any more reasons to eat kale, it’s one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. It’s a great source of plant-based vitamins and minerals.
I opted for some simple carrot sticks to dunk into the creamy green goodness. Feel free to dig in with whatever you like (sweet potato fries, tortilla chips, cucumbers). The options are endless.
I even had it the next day for breakfast smothered on top of some vegan & gluten-free toast. Go ahead and eat your greens, enjoy some tasty plant-based food, and be creative with how you eat it. I’d love to see what pairings you come up with!
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Add the kale to a medium-sized pot with 1/4 cup water.
- Cover the pot and let cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove kale from heat once leaves are wilted and tender.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients besides kale & basil and process until smooth.
- Add basil and pulse until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in kale until completely covered.
- Dig into it!