It’s been ages since I’ve had donuts! Maybe it’s the memories of stopping by Krispy Kreme & Dunkin Donuts as a kid during summer vacation, but I’ve been craving them so I set out to make a healthier vegan & gluten-free version. I realized that I had a couple of ripe & spotty bananas to use up, so I thought why not turn these bananas into some donuts? The result was the most delicious, soft & dense cinnamon sugar banana bread donuts. Seriously, they’re so addicting that I couldn’t stop at eating just one.
This recipe makes about a dozen donuts, so it’s definitely enough to feed a family, share with your friends, or take to a party. Banana bread has always been a favorite of mine, so I knew I couldn’t go wrong when I came up with the idea to turn what would be regular banana bread into donuts. I realized it’s a great way to control my banana bread addiction too, because I could have one or two donuts to satisfy my craving instead of devouring a whole loaf. I even crumbled one up to make the most delicious vegan banana bread nice cream for breakfast.
I used my classic banana bread recipe and altered it a little bit to make more fluffy, soft donuts. I naturally sweetened the donuts with brown rice syrup and coconut sugar. I simply used a basic gluten-free all-purpose flour mix mixed with ripe bananas, vanilla, and cinnamon to make them super irresistable. I can’t get enough of the smell of freshly baked banana bread wafting through my apartment.
These donuts are allergy-friendly too, so everyone can enjoy them. In addition to them being vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free, they’re oil-free, high carb, low fat, soy-free, dairy-free, and salt-free. But they’re definitely not lacking on flavor! Fresh out of the oven, I sprinkled the donuts with a basic 2-ingredient homemade cinnamon sugar mix that carmelised on top of the donuts. So they literally melt in your mouth.
Now that I’ve made homemade donuts, I’m more inclined to make them more often because they were actually really easy, delicious, and required minimal ingredients and minimal mess. Next time, I’m thinking maybe a pumpkin-flavored donut for fall. What are your favorite flavors of donuts?
I used to go for anything with sprinkles or a simple vanilla glaze. I was more of a plain donut type of gal, opting for the cinnamon or powdered sugar ones over the chocolate. But no matter what type of donuts you like, I guarantee you’ll like these cinnamon sugar banana bread donuts. If you try this recipe, please share with me on Instagram and let me know what you think!
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened oat milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- a splash of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ripe bananas, oat milk, vanilla extract, brown rice syrup, and apple cider vinegar until well combined.
- Add in gluten-free flour, cinnamon, coconut sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Stir well until the batter is smooth and all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Carefully spoon the batter into a donut pan, filling each circle until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Mix together coconut sugar and cinnamon for the topping and set aside.
- Allow donuts to completely cool before gently removing from the pan.
- Sprinkle the tops of the donuts with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Enjoy right away!
*They can be stored in an air-tight container for 3-5 days.