I’ve been badly wanting to make kale chips at home for a while now and finally got around to it! I bought a big huge bunch of fresh kale from the grocery store just for the occasion. Out of all the possible flavor combinations out there, the best kale chips I’ve ever had were the extra cheesy kind. So I recreated these deliciously cheesy vegan kale chips by using a simple mix of cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and spices. They make the most perfect, healthy snack that’ll keep you coming back for more.
I don’t know why making kale chips always intimidated me. I guess I figured it would be a super complicated and delicate process, but I couldn’t have been farther from the truth. Not only were they easy to make, but they were ready in only 15 minutes and tasted even better than the store bought kind. They’re perfectly seasoned and crispy with just the right amount of flavor!
I used to have a serious addiction to chips as a kid. Every sports event, club practice, or birthday party I went to growing up wasn’t complete without bottomless bowls of chips. Now that kale chips have become ‘trendy’ in the health food scene, you’ll see them popping up everywhere as a healthy alternative to potato chips.
I made these cheesy kale chips completely vegan & gluten-free as well as oil-free. I soaked cashews overnight which helped bring out the cheeziness of the nutritional yeast & spices when massaged into the kale leaves. That’s the trick to not needing to use any oil- when soaked in water, the cashews provide the perfect base for a cheesy sauce.
While they were baking, my whole apartment spelled like the most delicious cheesy concoction. I had to do everything in my power not to eat them all straight out of the oven. I swear they smell and taste just like Doritos. Except they’re all-natural and much healthier for you.
Really though, if you’re intimidated about making your own kale chips don’t be. And if you’ve tried before and failed (like I have), then here’s your chance to try again. You’ll be so proud of the result if you do!
- 1 bunch of kale
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small bowl, cover the cashews with water and let them soak overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Remove stems from the kale leaves and wash them.
- Chop the kale leaves into chip-sized pieces and thoroughly dry them.
- Drain the cashews and add to a high-speed blender or food processor with 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and water.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, massage kale with cheesy cashew mixture until leaves are evenly coated.
- Transfer kale pieces onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making sure the pieces do not touch or overlap. You may need to use two baking sheets.
- Sprinkle kale with the remaining 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until nice and crispy. Watch carefully to make sure they don't burn!
- Let cool before digging in!