Tada! I’ve finally posted a savory recipe like many of y’all requested. This buckwheat ramen with chickpeas & garlic tahini sauce is actually a brand new recipe that I recently tried for the first time and I’m seriously addicted. I can’t tell you how delicious these flavors are together, plus they go just perfectly with a big bowl of vegan coleslaw on the side! This vegan & gluten-free recipe showcases a mixture of my Southern roots and current lifestyle in Southeast Asia.
When I traveled to Tokyo last October, ramen was all the rave. We couldn’t walk down the streets without seeing ramen shops all around us. My boyfriend kept raving about how good it was, so I made it my mission to create this vegan & gluten-free ramen that’s just as flavorful and satisfying as the traditional version.
I didn’t want you guys thinking I only eat nicecream & cookies all the time, so I’m going to try to start sharing at least 1-2 savory recipes a month. Please let me know in the comments if there’s anything in particular you’d like me to try to healthify! Anyways, this buckwheat ramen is a really easy, healthy weeknight meal that you can make in under 20 minutes.
I couldn’t wait to share another one of my favorite Southern recipes: coleslaw. So it looks like it’s two recipes in one today! Unlike the usual version which is ladden with processed dairy, cheese or yogurt, I made mine completely vegan thanks to the leftover garlic tahini sauce. The base is just shredded cabbage & carrots which I then massaged with the sauce to get a crunchy and creamy coleslaw.
Ramen + coleslaw might seem like a strange combination at first, but trust me when you try this recipe you will be more than pleased! The coleslaw got two thumbs up from my boyfriend and as a Southern girl myself, I have to say it tastes pretty darn good. As for the ramen, well you really can’t go wrong with a bowl of noodles.
I liked the ramen so much I made it two nights in a row. The best part was that it required little preparation and almost no mess in the kitchen. Plus, I’ve got to tell you this garlic tahini sauce is my new favorite sauce. I’ve made a big batch to keep in a mason jar in the fridge and I’m just dreaming of all the possible meals I can whip up with it. It’s nice and salty with a little bit of a tang from the lemon juice. It really elevates any veggie dish if you ask me.
- 1 packet of buckwheat ramen (70 grams)
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 package of shredded cabbage & carrots coleslaw mix (453 grams)
- 1/2 cup of the garlic tahini sauce
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 1 litre of water to a boil.
- Add noodles to the boiling water.
- When the noodles begin to unfold, separate them gently with a fork.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes or until the noodles are just soft.
- Strain and rinse with cold water.
- Place tahini and water in a bowl and whisk vigorously with a spoon.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder and mix well.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Transfer ramen to a bowl and mix in chickpeas + 2 tbsp of the garlic tahini sauce.
- In a large bowl, add the coleslaw mix and 1/2 cup of the garlic tahini sauce.
- Massage the coleslaw with your hands for 2-3 minutes.
- Dig in!