I’m a breakfast lover that’s for sure. I’d heard about baked oatmeal, but to be honest I’d never given it a try before. I figured why not combine it with one of my all-time favorites, classic banana bread which for me is a no-fail treat. I ended up with this banana bread baked oatmeal that actually tastes like cake. Cake for breakfast? Yes, please. I could munch on this all winter long. It makes the most perfect start to the day, plus it’s vegan, gluten-free, and free of refined sugar!
If you love banana bread and want an easy treat in the morning, baked oatmeal is the way to go. You can make a big portion ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to reheat it whenever you want it. I even had some as dessert the other day because I was craving something sweet but was lazy and didn’t want to make anything. This banana bread oatmeal came to my rescue!
It’s moist, cakey and perfectly sweet. I love banana bread made with extra ripe and spotty bananas because they’re so naturally sweet. I added in coconut sugar and a dash of maple syrup which actually made it taste like cake. I kept the recipe vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, oil-free, and nut-free so it’s completely allergy-friendly. And it tastes just like a slice of banana bread!
I might even prefer baked oatmeal over regular oatmeal, because it’s thicker and more dense. Plus, you don’t have that runny consistency that ends up making a mess. Baked oatmeal and banana bread are truly just a match made in heaven. It seriously made my whole apartment smell like Christmas time.
I mixed together just 6 basic ingredients and baked it for 30 minutes in the oven until it got slightly browned on top. Stick a fork through and if it comes out clean, then you know your baked oatmeal is ready! I definitely recommend drizzling some maple syrup on top, pouring some fresh almond milk over it, or serving it alongside a cup of tea.
Please make this and let me know what you think! I promise you will instantly be hooked on this banana bread baked oatmeal. If you do give it a go, be sure to share with me on Instagram @asunshinemission!
- 2 cups rolled oats, gluten-free
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 225 degreed Celsius.
- Blend 1 cup of rolled oats in a high-speed blender until it turns into a flour-like consistency.
- Transfer this oat flour to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add in the remaining 1 cup of rolled oats, coconut sugar, and cinnamon and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, mash your bananas with a fork.
- Add mashed bananas, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the same bowl as your dry ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Transfer to a small baking dish (mine was 5 in. x 7.5 in).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly browned on the top.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Dig in!