It’s official. I’m obsessed with baking. I just can’t keep myself out of the kitchen these days, especially as Christmas inches closer and closer every day. Our apartment constantly smells like freshly baked cookies, muffins, or donuts. You name it and I’ve probably made it at some point these past couple of weeks. Donuts hold a special place in my heart as one of my favorite childhood treats. So, I’ve made these healthier vegan and gluten-free cinnamon sugar donuts that are perfectly soft, fluffy, and delicious. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Growing up, we used to go out for donuts on Sunday after church. I vividly remember rolling up to Dunkin’ Donuts and Krispy Kreme and getting my favorite donuts on rotation. I was particularly fond of the classic glazed, powdered cinnamon cake, chocolate iced with sprinkles, and cinnamon sugar donuts. Don’t even get me started on the donut holes. But that was a different generation and a very different time in my life. However, I will admit I miss those donuts every now and then. So, I set out on a mission to make my own.
Now, I won’t go so far as to say these cinnamon sugar donuts are like those other previously mentioned donuts. Keep in mind these are baked, not fried in buckets of oil. But I will go so far as to say they’re the most delicious, health-ified vegan and gluten-free donuts I’ve ever had! The vanilla cake donuts are perfectly soft and moist which matches perfectly with a sweet cinnamon sugar topping.
Given my preconceived notion that donuts are simply too hard to make, I was pleasantly surprised with how easily these came together. I had to restrain myself from not downing the donuts all at once. They were just that yummy! I hope you enjoy this holiday recipe as much as I did. If you make them, please share your thoughts and photos with me on Instagram.
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 6 tbsp white rice flour
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp garbanzo and fava bean flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of baking soda
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp melted refined coconut oil
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, potato starch, arrowroot, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and hot water.
- Mix with a rubber spatula until you get a smooth batter.
- Lightly brush a donut pan with oil so donuts will not stick to your pan.
- Drop dough carefully by the tablespoon into each donut mold.
- Fill up each donut mold all the way to the top with batter and smooth out top with a wet spoon or hand.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then rotate the pan and continue baking for another 7 minutes, or until donuts are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let the donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- For topping, mix together coconut sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle on top of your donuts.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.