Did you like Rice Krispie treats growing up? They were definitely one of my childhood favorites. We’d always have them as a snack after sports practice or at club events and my mom always kept our pantry stocked with them. The packaged version is full of processed sugars and preservatives, so I decided to make a healthier version for you guys. These are just as delicious as the original and are completely 100% vegan, gluten-free, & refined sugar-free!
To make these, I only used 5 simple ingredients which I already had in my pantry. The only ingredient I had to go buy was the gluten-free puffed brown rice cereal which can be found at most natural foods grocery stores. I even made them without marshmallows (even though I know there are vegan marshmallows!) because I really wanted them to be refined sugar-free.
I can’t rave enough about how these turned out! They are crunchy, sweet, and super delicious thanks in large part to the almond butter. I think these are even better than the original because they are much more filling and made with only wholesome ingredients.
Rice crispy treats make a great grab-and-go snack, pre-workout fuel, or late-night treat. You can cut them into whatever size square you like or even roll them into balls!
They’re definitely really sticky but in my opinion the stickier the better! Plus, if you’ve ever had the originals you know it’s impossible to eat them without your fingers getting marshmallow all over them. Since these are basically just almond butter + brown rice syrup, I felt completely fine licking my fingers after.
I like mine slightly chilled so I kept them in the fridge. But you don’t need to, it’s totally up to you! If you try these, I would love to see your recreation so please comment below or share with me on Instagram @asunshinemission using the hashtag #asunshinemission.
- 3 cups gluten-free puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup almond butter, raw
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (or maple syrup or coconut nectar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- Add almond butter, brown rice syrup, vanilla, and salt to a sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir until the mixture is all melted together.
- Pour the puffed rice cereal into a medium bowl.
- Pour the almond butter mixture over the cereal and stir until evenly coated.
- Scoop the cereal into a glass baking dish or pan and firmly press the mixture down until it's tightly packed.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares and eating!