Happy Halloween! As promised, I’ve joined in on the #virtualpumpkinparty with my fellow bloggers by creating these Halloween-inspired pumpkin oatmeal cookies. The best part? The recipe is really easy and fast! You can throw these cookies together and have them baked in under 30 minutes from start to finish. So let’s all get to making some magic this Halloween with some healthy, gluten-free, vegan, oil-free & nut-free pumpkin cookies.
These cookies are on the more cakey side thanks to the pumpkin which tends to do that in baked goods. They’re the perfect chewy texture that’s so moist, soft, and perfect for fall. I’m really happy with how they turned out. Baking is always a bit of an experiment for me, so I went into these not knowing what the end result would be. Luckily, I hit the nail on the head the first time around!
I threw in some cinnamon and nutmeg to enhance the pumpkin flavor. Since the pumpkin was already so moist, there really was no need to add in any oil. So, these oil-free cookies are lighter than most other cookies I’ve had, meaning you can even nibble on them for breakfast. I snacked on a good half dozen of them just this morning.
Another issue I have with most vegan & gluten-free baked goods is that they call for multiple different types of flours. I made these pumpkin cookies only with oat flour that I made by blending rolled oats. I found all of the ingredients used in these cookies laying around in my pantry. Minimal ingredients, minimal mess, and maximum taste.
It’s crucial that you use pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling for these cookies. Pumpkin pie filling already has all the spices plus loads of added sugar already in it. You should be able to find pumpkin puree at the normal grocery store in the same area as the canned veggies. It’s great to have handy in autumn to make all sorts of pumpkin goodies.
If you make these cookies, please share with me on Instagram! Speaking of, thank you guys so much for following me. I just hit over 7k followers and can’t even begin to tell you how overwhelmingly happy that makes me. You all inspire me and motivate me every day!
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats, gluten-free
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pulse 1 cup rolled oats in a high-speed blender until broken down into a flour-like consistency.
- Add pitted dates and blend until well combined.
- Stir together dry ingredients (flour mixture, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut sugar) in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add in pumpkin puree and maple syrup and mix well.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press cookie dough down into a round cookie shape with a slightly wet spoon or your fingers.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes.