I’m ballin’! Hehe, but really I’m slightly obsessed with making cookie dough balls. Because what’s better than cookie dough that you can eat straight out of the freezer? No baking, no fuss, no mess, and it’s super healthy too. I whipped up these vegan & gluten-free salted caramel cookie dough balls in just 5 minutes. I kept them really basic so there’s no added nuts, seeds, or oil at all (all that stuff gets pricey anyways). So these are especially good for your wallet and your taste buds!
I topped my blueberry acai nice cream with some cookie dough balls last week which inspired me to come up with new flavors. The first thing that popped in my head was salted caramel! As a kid, I loved eating those little caramels that you’d get for free at the doctor’s office or at the candy store. This vegan version is just as chewy, slightly salty, and delicious but way better for you.
The chewy, juicy Medjool dates I used in these were big and plump. I found them at the grocery store and they were sourced directly from Israel which is famous for having the highest quality dates. Needless to say, dates are on my list of top 3 favorite foods so I was ecstatic. They really give the cookie dough such a rich caramel taste and chewiness that’s just over the moon amazing.
Did I mention you only need 5 ingredients to make these? I think that’s the best part. I really feel like some people have the misconception that vegan food is difficult to make or takes a long time. But that’s just not the case. Part of my “sunshine mission” is simplifying vegan food and making it accessible to everyone. I really feel like that’s an important part of what I want to do with my life. This mission keeps me motivated every single day!
Make these cookie dough balls if you’re looking for a healthy dessert or snack. Since they’re bite-sized, I keep them in a mason jar in the fridge or freezer and pop them like they’re candy. They satisfy my sweet tooth but they’re low-glycemic and have no refined sugar so they don’t make me crash like most desserts. That’s why they’re especially good for kids too.
If you’re a busy bee or think you don’t have time to make dessert, think again. These are the easiest raw vegan dessert you can make. I shared them with my boyfriend and the first thing he said was “winner”. So I’m pretty positive you’ll love them too!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, gluten-free
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 8 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar + 1 tbsp extra for rolling
- 2 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp extra for rolling
- pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until well combined, after a minute or two it should turn into a sticky ball of dough.
- Scoop out by the tablespoon and roll into balls between your hands.
- Mix together remaining coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll balls into cinnamon sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Stick them in the freezer for 1-2 hours.