I came up with these red kidney bean & tahini taco pizzas on a whim. Basically, I was craving Mexican food + a pizza. I didn’t want to spend the struggle or time trying to whip up a vegan & gluten-free pizza crust. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and use what I already had in my pantry and fridge. So I made an easy 4-ingredient kidney bean mash, heated up some corn corn tortillas, and added a tahini drizzle. The taco pizza has officially been born!
Now I’m really digging this combination between a taco and a pizza. I can see it being very versatile, like you could use black beans instead of kidney beans or add avocado on top. Think of whatever you’d like to have in a taco and pile it up on a corn tortilla to make a taco pizza! It’s really that simple.
Another plus side of these taco pizzas are that I made them without oil, so they’re not greasy at all. If there’s one thing that upsets my stomach more than anything, it’s really greasy, oily food. So, I skipped the oil and instead used raw stoneground tahini to make a delicious vegan sauce! These pizzas are entirely vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
Another advantage of making these is the bake time is a whole lot less than making an entire pizza. I used small sized corn tortillas and absolutely adore how they turned out like mini-pizzas! They’re the perfect individual size so you could make them with family and friends and share. Everyone could pick out their own toppings and make a party of it.
I can easily see this becoming a regular weeknight meal for me. They take only 15 minutes to bake and taste totally delicious. I love how crispy the corn tortilla is! It goes great as a base with the spiced kidney bean mash on top.
All I’m saying is if you like hard shell tacos and you want a fun, yummy vegan version then these will be your new favorite. I had them two days in a row and am planning on making them again soon, maybe this time with some added corn and onions on top. If you like this recipe, please share with me on Instagram @asunshinemission!
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3-4 small corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp tahini
- a pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place corn tortillas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned.
- While tortillas are baking, drain and rinse red kidney beans.
- Mash the kidney beans in a small bowl with the back of a fork.
- Mix in nutritional yeast, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Take tortillas out of the oven and spread on the kidney bean mash.
- Drizzle with tahini.
- Place back in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until tortillas are completely cooked through.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle on a pinch of Himalayan sea salt