Honestly, I didn’t think I would ever be able to master the art of the raw vegan cinnamon roll. After trying a couple at raw vegan restaurants around L.A., I warmed up to the idea and finally decided to just go for it. Surprisingly, it was actually a million times easier than I thought it would be! A throwback to one of my favorite breakfast treats growing up, these naturally sweet cinnamon rolls are packed with a gooey cinnamon date caramel and topped off with a smooth coconut glaze. I couldn’t believe I pulled this one off and I hope it inspires you to try too!
Sure, they look a little bit messy but isn’t that what cinnamon rolls are all about? I clearly really liked the coconut glaze so I just poured it all on completely drenching my cinnamon rolls. You could definitely say I’m a girl that goes heavy on the glaze when it comes to cinnamon rolls.
You might be wondering how these could be healthy, but seriously I used only real ingredients without any processed sugars or flours. It’s crazy what you can do with the whole foods mother nature gives us. Everything in these cinnamon rolls is raw, vegan, gluten-free & refined sugar-free.
The base comes together with just five basic ingredients: almonds, flaxseed meal (made from ground up flaxseeds), dates & coconut butter plus water as needed to get it to get it to form into dough. The magic comes in letting it sit in the freezer while you make the filling & glaze. For some reason, this step is key because it makes it easier to roll. I’ve tried vegan cinnamon rolls before and failed because they crumbled apart when I tried to roll them. So seriously, actually let the dough sit in the freezer for a bit and trust me it’ll make your life easier!
For the gooey date caramel filling, I added in lots of cinnamon to get that real, authentic cinnamon roll taste. It ended up being just the right amount of sweet with a hint of spice that made me want to gobble all of the caramel up on its own. Luckily, enough actually made it in the cinnamon rolls to make them perfectly plump.
Once you spread the filling on the base, you just carefully roll the dough up as tight as you possibly can. Voila, you’re so close to having the best breakfast you’ve ever had! The most fun part is when you take the roll out of the freezer and cut it revealing a beautiful swirled cinnamon roll. If you do end up trying out this recipe, please share with me by tagging me on Instagram @asunshinemission. I adore seeing all your lovely photos!
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 2 tbsp water, as needed
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp coconut nectar
- Add almonds and flaxseed meal to a food processor and blend until you get a flour-like consistency.
- Add in the dates and coconut butter and process until you get a ball of dough (you may need to add a little water here to get it to hold together).
- Scoop the dough onto a surface lined with parchment paper and place another piece of parchment paper on top.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a large even square.
- Place dough lying flat in the freezer.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend all ingredients until you get a smooth caramel.
- Take dough out of the freezer and evenly spread the caramel on top of it.
- Very carefully, start at one end and roll the dough up tightly into one big roll.
- Place back in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Remove roll from the freezer.
- Run a knife under warm water and cut the roll into equal pieces.
- Drizzle glaze on top of your cinnamon rolls.