This weekend is actually a big holiday here in Hong Kong, known as the Mid-Autumn or Full Moon Festival. My boyfriend got off work on Friday, so we turned it into a fun 3-day weekend staycation full of sushi dinners, horror movies, and long walks outside. I decided I’d pass on the traditional dessert of mooncakes in favor of these raw vegan caramel tarts. They’re full of a creamy, dreamy date caramel on top of a delicious raw cookie dough base.
I based the caramel off my previous recipe for raw vegan date squares, which is a favorite of mine that I’ve seen popping up on Instagram lately. This was a big reminder like, “hey Laura, remember how much you love date caramel?”. I’d not made them in a while, so I figured why not turn them into bite-sized tarts.
The result was these chewy, naturally sweet raw caramel tarts that are my new favorite dessert. I made them twice already this weekend, having them for dessert and even a couple for breakfast. I don’t eat fully raw, but I find that I feel better having raw desserts rather than cooked ones. I’m not sure why that is, but it’s always been easier on my stomach. I’ve got a BIG sweet tooth and raw vegan desserts usually leave me more satisfied and fill me up faster and for longer.
Quick life update: nothing too big going on right now. Just plugging through the month of September, until it’s October and I can officially go all-out goggling over Halloween. We’ve got a wedding in Thailand that we’re going to (it’s the brother of one of Julian’s friends) next month. I haven’t been to a wedding in ages, literally since my older brother got married like 10 years ago. So I’m really looking forward to it!
I’ll take any excuse to go to Thailand. Let’s be real. But nothing else major on my plate right now. I am really busy with my business and feel like I have tons of emails to answer. But I feel like this all the time. I always have this constant inkling feeling that I have work that needs to get done. It’s always in the back of my mind nagging me, but I’ve actually allowed myself the weekend off to just relax. It’s been really rewarding to spend a full 3 days at home with my boyfriend and not much else to do!
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup dates
- 1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Process oats in a high-speed blender or food processor until broken down into a flour-like consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until a sticky balls of dough forms.
- Scoop out and gently press into a muffin tin and up the sides, forming a small cavity in the middle.
- Press firmly so that the base sticks together.
- Place in the freezer while you make the caramel.
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop out by the tablespoon and fill up the middle of your tarts, gently smoothing out the caramel until the cavities are full. You may need to slightly wet your hands to do this because the caramel will be sticky.
- Place back in the freezer for at least 1 hour to set.
- Remove from the freezer and enjoy!