My wish list this week was dedicated to Easter treats, so I was inspired to come up with a delicious & healthy Easter dessert of my own. This recipe is dedicated to my dad who loves carrot cake more than anything and first introduced me to it. Just some veggies, nuts, fruit and viola! There you have it: a raw carrot cake. As a kid I thought, how could a cake with veggies in it taste good? Then my dad convinced me to try it and I was instantly hooked. Now I appreciate a cake with fresh veggies hidden in it along with walnuts, oats, dates, cashews, and coconut. All naturally sweetened, this cake is pure bliss.
It really covers all the bases: raw, vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free. You really can’t go wrong with a plant-based carrot cake. It’s easily made in a food processor and all you have to do is pack it into a cake pan and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
This carrot cake is: moist, dense, sweet, and totally delicious! It would be perfect to take to an Easter brunch, party, get-together, or just have in the house.
The cashew cream frosting alone deserves its own blog post. The magic of soaking cashews overnight never ceases to amaze me. Seriously, they are so versatile! Here they make the best diary-free and vegan cream cheese-like icing I’ve ever had. I could eat it all on its own.
Even though I definitely associate carrot cake with Easter, it’s great to have year round. Why not enjoy something so tasty all the time right? I’m definitely planning on making it again soon.
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 2 cups dates, pitted
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least an hour
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- water, as needed
- Process walnuts in a food processor until broken into small pieces.
- Add in dates and process until mixed well.
- Add in grated carrots (make sure to squeeze them dry first to remove excess moisture!) and process until just combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process.
- Scoop the mixture into a cake pan, press down firmly, and place in the freezer.
- Add all frosting ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth (add water if necessary).
- Spread frosting over carrot cake.
- Put it in the fridge overnight so it can firm up then dig in!