I am so excited to share this 4-ingredient caramel banana ice cream sandwich recipe with you all. You read that correctly, these delicious raw vegan ice cream sandwiches only have 4 ingredients! A cookie dough base layered with banana ice cream and date caramel topped with more cookie dough. It doesn’t get much better than that!
The cookie dough is made with only 2 ingredients: raw almonds and Medjool dates. You just blend them together and it’s the easiest, most tasty raw cookie dough I’ve ever had. The banana ice cream is as simple as it gets, just banana and almond milk. Then the final finishing touch is a yummy date caramel made by blending soft Medjool dates with almond milk.
These ice cream sandwiches are completely raw, vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free. I’ve found myself making more and more raw desserts over the past couple of weeks. I really like how easy they are with only basic, nourishing ingredients and no added sugar. I always make sure to keep bananas, dates, almonds, and almond milk handy now as my raw vegan “essentials”.
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again – dates are nature’s candy. Jumbo medjools are my favorite because they’re so juicy & sweet and make an absolutely amazing caramel. I pick up a couple pounds of organic ones every weekend at the farmers’ market to have for a snack or dessert. If you haven’t hopped on the date train, you should definitely try them.
I made a dozen of these in a mini loaf pan which mean’s you’ll have enough to share or snack on throughout the week. I kept mine all to myself and they disappeared quickly, but they could be fun to take to a potluck or dinner party too! Honestly they are so irresistible I guarantee even your non-vegan friends or family (we all have them I’m sure) will be asking you for seconds.
Probably the hardest part about this recipe is waiting for them to harden in the freezer. But the wait is totally worth it because what could be better than a raw vegan ice cream sandwich that’s healthy, allergy friendly and will leave you satisfied and super happy. I hope these put a big smile on your face!
- 2 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 bananas, frozen
- Pulse almonds and 1 1/2 cup dates in a high speed blender or food processor until you get a stick dough.
- Split the dough half.
- Press the first half firmly into the bottom of a 12 piece mini loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer.
- Process bananas and 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk in a food processor until creamy.
- Pour banana ice cream over first cookie layer.
- Place back in freezer and wait for it to firm up (about an hour).
- Process dates and 2 tbsp almond milk in a food processor until you get a smooth caramel. Add more almond milk if needed.
- Spread caramel over ice cream layer.
- Place back in the freezer until it sets (about an hour)
- Add the other half of the cookie dough on top of caramel and freeze for about an hour.
- Dig in!