I made these bars as an experiment because I’d been wanting to try making my own cashew-based vegan cheesecake for the longest time. I’d never tried it before but after seeing countless beautiful vegan cheesecakes all over the place, I finally decided I’d give it a go. As a major dessert person, it was the only raw vegan dessert I hadn’t attempted yet. My mom took one bite into these and said, “yum, they taste like a creamsicle”. So there you have it, that’s how these no-bake, vegan & gluten-free blueberry creamsicle bars were born. These bars scream “summer” because they’re extra fruity, easy to make, and are great for entertaining. I cut them into little squares so my parents can have one as a treat every now and then. I’ve found that raw vegan desserts are so rich, you only need a little bit to get you by. Which works well for parties because a little will go a long way!
Cashews do wonders when they’re soaked overnight, making a great base that resembles a classic cheesecake texture and taste. When mixed with blueberries, coconut cream, coconut butter, coconut nectar, and a dash of salt, the result is heavenly. These creamsicle bars are 100% raw, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free making them a much healthier dessert option for anyone with a naughty sweet tooth like me.
For the base, I went with a coconut/cashew/almond mix that paired greatly with the blueberry top layer. I like eating them right out of the freezer, because they’re slightly chilled, but still soft, chewy, and amazingly refreshing. I really insist you get your vegan cheesecake on, because once you do you’ll never look back.
Now that I have this as my basic cheesecake recipe, I want to play around with the creamsicle flavors. I’m thinking strawberry, raspberry, or even orange would taste great! That’s the fun part with these, you can easily customize them to make them your own.
If you’ve ever doubted being able to enjoy sweets as a vegan, think again. I’ve found super simple ways to recreate some of my favorite treats, like oreos, snickers bars, brownies, and now these creamsicle bars. If you try them, please share with me on Instagram @asunshinemission! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar
- 3 tbsp coconut butter
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- pinch of salt
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add cashews, almonds, and coconut and blend until broken down into a flour-like consistency.
- Add in all other ingredients and process until a sticky ball of dough forms.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer while you make the filling.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, blend cashews, blueberries, and coconut nectar until well combined.
- Add in all other ingredients and blend until completely mixed.
- Pour on top of the base and place back in the freezer.
- Allow 3-4 hours for the filling to set.