I’ve totally health-ified one of my favorite snacks that I loved as a kid: rice crispy treats. These are made with only 3 ingredients: brown rice cereal, brown rice syrup, and matcha powder. I added the green matcha powder in honor of St. Patrick’s Day coming up on Thursday, plus it’s got loads of health benefits which I’ll get to later. These treats are completely vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free, but besides being good for you and your body they taste uber yummy. Meaning they’d be the perfect addition to any St. Patty’s Day celebration.
Not only are these the easiest to make, but also they’re made without any marshmallows, vegan butter, or refined sugar. So they’re basically the healthiest rice crispy treats ever. And you can make them in just 5 minutes!
I think I nailed down rice crispy treats that are the perfect texture. The cereal adds just the right amount of crunch but the brown rice syrup adds the chewiness you know and love (without having to add in marshmallows). They’re even better than the original in my opinion, because they’re not so sweet that you feel like your teeth will fall out.
Also, since they’re all-natural, you can feel free to have multiple at one time. My boyfriend and I split a batch with a kettle of tea today and I have to say it was fantastic. The matcha powder is not too strong. I added just enough in to give the rice crispy treats a bit of a flavor kick.
I could go on and on about the benefits of matcha. It’s known to help increase your metabolism, enhance your concentration, and give you an energy boost minus the crash. It’s been heralded as the queen of superfoods, so if you haven’t tried it then I highly recommend you giving it a go!
I hope you all have the most leaping, fun St. Patrick’s Day ever! And if you try this recipe, please share with me on Instagram or let me know in the comments what you think.
- 3 cups brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp matcha powder + extra for sprinkling
- Add brown rice syrup to a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add in matcha powder and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add in brown rice cereal and continue to stir until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Using another piece of parchment paper, press firmly to flatten the mixture until it's tightly packed.
- Set in the fridge for 30 minutes-1 hour to cool.
- Remove from the pan, cut into bars, sprinkle with a little extra matcha powder, and enjoy!