French fries anyone? Baked sweet potato fries, that is. You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to make crispy, homemade fries! I literally can’t remember the last time I went out and bought french fries. It’s just so much better making them at home, where you can add all sorts of spices & include all sorts of sauces on the side. Think of it as a “customize-your-own-fries” workshop. Today, I’m sharing with you my favorite recipe for perfectly delicious baked sweet potato fries!
The secret to crispy on the outside, soft on the inside fries? You have to boil them first before baking them. I’m not sure why exactly this works so well, but trust me it works wonders. Plus, if you boil them, then after draining the water you can add all the spices you want to them without needing any oil! Since the fries are already wet, the spices will stick on effortlessly. And added bonus, you keep them basically fat-free in the process.
I learned about this trick for the first time when I tried this recipe from one of my favorite bloggers & all-time biggest inspirations This Rawsome Vegan Life. So yeah, just roll with it. After boiling them for only 4-5 minutes, then all you have to do is toss them in some spices and let them bake.
Yes, it’s really that easy. My mom told me she’s made this recipe countless times for my dad as a quick & easy side dish alongside their dinner. She’ll be the first to tell you she’s not the biggest MasterChef out there, so to create this recipe that she enjoys making but even more importantly enjoys eating warms my heart. My parents are in no way vegan (or gluten-free or anything like that!), but they love these baked sweet potato fries all the same.
I think at a certain point food is a universal language that we as human beings all understand. I love being able to make plant-based, vegan meals like this that are delicious and satisfying. But what I love even more is sharing it with you all, so you in turn can (hopefully!) enjoy them as much as I do. I think that if you ask pretty much anyone if they like french fries, they’ll say yes. So these are for sure a winner!
That being said, I really hope you try this recipe because you’ll be mind blown! I could, and do, eat these on a daily basis, sometimes switching out American sweet potatoes for Japanese sweet potatoes or regular potatoes. Sometimes adding in a little basil or chives or garlic powder. But still, this core recipe remains the same. Please let me know if you try it and be sure to share with me on Instagram if you do!
- 2-3 russet potatoes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp ketchup, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the potatoes into french fry-shaped pieces.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.
- Boil potatoes in pot for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain.
- Throw the wet potatoes back in the pot and add in the onion powder and nutritional yeast.
- Toss back and forth in the pot with the lid on until evenly coated.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Try to make sure none of them are touching.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and then bake for another 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve alongside ketchup or your favorite accompaniments!