Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the healthy way with this creamy, dreamy vegan shamrock shake! It’s made from frozen bananas and hidden greens, blended into a deliciously thick shake with natural mint extract. I topped this minty thick shake with mini raw vegan donuts to make my St. Paddy’s Day celebrations even more special! You can make the shake with only 5 natural, wholesome ingredients in just 5 minutes. I’ve made spinach nice cream before, so I’m not afraid of throwing fresh greens into my smoothies. I didn’t have any spinach this morning when I went to make my post-workout shake, so I thought I’d use organic Chinese kale instead. The key to a really even shake is to tear off the leaves and discard the stems. Trust me the leaves blend much easier and you won’t even taste them!
A shamrock shake normally is made up of a vanilla milkshake base mixed with minty syrup and green food dye. I decided to make mine vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free by using frozen bananas. When blended, the frozen bananas turn into a thick ice cream and then I added in vanilla, mint, and kale for the green color. This shamrock shake just as delicious, but all-natural and plant-based!
St. Patrick’s Day is basically non-existent in Hong Kong, so I’ve decided to throw my own little party at home. That’s why I made myself this shamrock shake for breakfast, put on my favorite “Kale” sweatshirt, and threw on my fuzzy green socks with sheep on them. I even made my boyfriend where green socks so that he wouldn’t get pinched at work. I hope you have a fun St. Paddy’s Day and don’t forget to wear green!
- 4 frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup fresh kale
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 drops organic mint flavor
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, gluten-free if necessary
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond butter
- Remove bananas from the freezer and let thaw for 15 minutes.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until thick and creamy.
- Pour into a medium-sized jar and place in the freezer while you make the donuts.
- Add rolled oats, cinnamon, vanilla, and dates to a food processor.
- Process until a sticky dough forms.
- Add in almond butter and continue to process until well combined.
- Press dough firmly into a mini silicone donut mold.
- Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove shamrock shake from the freezer and top with a couple of mini donuts.